Baby Trend is a manufacturer of consumer related baby products and is located in Fontana, CA. Our products are sold at nationwide retail locations and juvenile specialty stores. Our slogan is convenience through innovation and thoughtful design. We are actively searching for a competent Mechanical Engineer to work on all product stages from research and development to design and manufacture, through to installation and final commissioning.
The goal is to design and fabricate mechanical components of innovation and excellence.
In this role, you will be focusing on working on infant, convertible, and booster car seats to bring seating system joy to our customers. As a Mechanical Car Seat Engineer, you will own all aspects of development, from concept to production release. You will be working with our fashion team to pick the best fashion soft goods, while also making 2D and 3D layouts for your car seat parts. You will develop specifications, and work closely with our suppliers to ensure that the reliability, profitability, manufacturing, design requirements, and marketability are met with the highest quality.
Job Descriptions & Responsibilities:
- Produce outline designs, test and evaluate theoretical design
- Conduct experiments methodically, analyze data and interpret results
- Identify, formulate and produce effective solutions to emerging problems
- Alter and modify design to meet requirements and to eliminate malfunctions
- Prepare product reports and documentation
- Evaluate final product’s overall performance, reliability and safety
- Key responsibilities are providing first-class, technical innovation and experience to support new product development
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including sales, marketing and manufacturing to develop innovative products
- Create and manage timelines of project based on tiers and ensure each task is completed on-time.
- Ability to prioritize projects and tasks as well as react and resolve with the product development team when issues arise.
- Manage communication with Product Team on problems and brainstorm to find best possible solutions for the business.
- Candidate must be able to consider and discuss the overall business opportunity and consequences that may be caused by each decision to propose best possible solutions to each problem.
- Collaborate with Factory Engineer Partners to Develop specifications, validation test plans, and quality plans to support internal and external manufacturing.
- Collaborate with Factory Engineer Partners to Direct and Design systems and components to meet requirements of Product Design and Brand family DNA.
- Collaborate with Factory Engineer Partners to coordinate regarding tool development, pre-production troubleshooting
- Oversee and manage full product development lifecycle (design, develop, test prototypes, manufacture and implement) from the Brand business side.
- Oversee the Generation of 2D/3D components and assemblies in CAD, verifying design via prototypes from the Factory Counterpart Engineers. Ability to professionally review and provide feedback to partners based on collective review from the Product Development team. As a plus, there may be projects where this position may be required to create the components and assemblies in CAD.
- Ability to Estimate budget and scope of project based on previous experience and knowledge.
- Manage the performance of detailed engineering design work, taking industrial designs and developing them against timeline and list or projects for the season and year provided by the Product Marketing Counterpart.
- Keep up to date and optimized designs based off current testing and procedural safety standards as set by the US government
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related is required
- 3-5 years of Juvenile product experience is required (preferred in infant, convertible, and booster car seats)
- Minimum of at least 2 years of product design and development experience required
- Highly proficient 3D CAD design is required (Solid Works, CREO)
- Excellent problem-solving capability and communications skills are required
- Creative mindset with attention to product and material design
- Effective communicator with internal, external and cross functional teams
- Working knowledge and application of injection molded part design is a plus
- Working knowledge of steel tube part design, extruded part design, stampings and manufacturing processes
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project)
- Bilingual Chinese preferred
- Able to travel domestically and internationally